Thursday, September 13, 2012

grocery stores and sock buns

Folks!

Well, I'm glad to say our second week here has been going by much faster than the first, for me at least. Its still really hard being away from everyone, and not living on a set schedule (which is VITAL to me, but not vital enough to self-discipline...?). But, I really am enjoying this whole experience thus far.

I had a job interview on Tuesday at Joann Fabric and Craft Stores which I think went pretty well. I have to clear a background check (Ha! How many of these did I run for Horizon Transport applicants?!), which I'm confident won't be an issue, then hopefully, I get a second interview. What I lack in cash register and actual retail experience, I hope to make up with in experience behind the sewing machine. And with a paintbrush in my hands. And completely buried in yarn. And with my fingers hot-glued together. I mean, that's almost better than formal experience, right?

I finally found a Publix Grocery Store that I like! I was about to curse all my southern friends who were telling me how amazing Publix is and how I won't even miss Martin's or Meijer... Well, our nearest Publix is like a 2nd world country. Last time I went there, I cried. All I wanted was a Martin's muffin for my misery. But just a couple miles down the road is a lovely Publix grocery store that I really like. AND they had Honeycrisp apples today! Yay! I bought three and had one for dinner because their so huge and delicious. Yummo!

So, ready for pictures of my hair?!

This is from yesterday, since, I wrote this post last night. But, my hair was few days in from its last wash, and I knew the forecast was quite hot (what else is new?), so I decided to put it in a sock bun (video tutorial HERE!) to get it out of my face while we traveled around Hollywood, Pembroke Pines and Miramar (the suburbs the church is closest too) putting up fliers for Oasis Miami!

(side note: I bought my first proper backpack! Being home-schooled was kinda lame on the backpack front. I can haul SO MUCH STUFF in it! In this picture, it has my lappy, my NEW notebook [with mostly Oasis Miami ideas and notes in it], my old notebook [with sermon notes for the past year +], my purse, some knitting [of course], quarters for laundry, fliers for Oasis Miami and a small bag of chips from Jimmy Johns. Also, I'm so excited about having a backpack.)

(this was just as I'm writing this post... End of the day...)

And I just took it out so you guys can see not only how BIG my hair REALLY gets, but to see the awesomeness that is the sock bun.
Yay!
(this is way frizzy and big, but again, its a bit dirty and full of random products from the past couple of days...)
I love using the sock bun, because its quick, its easy, and it can do day-to-night if need be (i.e., if you actually have that chance... Unlike me). A few notes on how I do the sock bun:
-I actually use the end of a pair of full-length leggings that I chopped off because I wanted capri-length leggings. I then sewed the legging a bit thinner because my hair isn't as long as it REALLLLLY need to be to do this... I've heard that a toddler sock will also work in that idea.
-I wear mine really high, but you can wear them anywhere on your head! I've done a low side sock bun when my hair was a couple of inches longer. Super cute, but keep in mind that your curls will be lop-sided when you take it out!
-You can't see it in the pictures, but when I was out and about today, I pinned a little pink felt bow just beneath it in the back to keep the frizzies pinned up and to be adorable.

Anyway, that's my post! As always, I appreciate you all for loving on us and supporting us while we're here!

No comments:

Post a Comment